Turismo Llíria

Historical heritage

  1. Home
  2. Presentation


Llíria holds the remains of what was once one of the most important Iberian cities.

This city, named Edeta, with a surface area of almost 10 hectares, was the administrative headquarters and the centre of power in Edetania, a vast territory which stretched from the River Júcar to the River Palancia. Edeta has a complex layout made up of streets that adapt to the sloping landscape where houses built with stone bases and adobe are located.

This archaeological site has offered the best ensemble of painted ceramic of the entire Iberian culture. The ensemble is exhibited at the Prehistoric Museum of the Diputación de Valencia. Of the numerous pieces that make up this ensemble, it is worth noting el Vaso de los Guerreros and el Khalatos de la Danza.

Tosal de San Miguel
Castellet - Llíria Tourism
Castellet de Bernabé

In the areas surrounding Edeta there are Iberian settlements such as la Mont-ravana and country houses dedicated to farming and mining such as el Castellet de Bemabé. This is one of the finest examples of this type of settlement where the resulting town-planning model is the so-called main street, with the semi-detached structures along the wall on both sides of a roadway running lengthwise through the area.

The most representative person of the Iberian world was Edecán, kinglet of the inhabitants of Edeta, who governed the Iberian city of Edeta and its territory during the third century BC.

Molló del Pla de l'Arc
Molló del Pla de l'Arc

In the era of Augustus, Edeta (Llíria) was a Roman town, its importance was considerable and it rivalled with Valentia (Valencia) and Saguntum (Sagunto).

One of the most emblematic symbols of Roman presence in Edeta (Llíria) is the Molló del Pla de l’Arc. It’s a Roman pilaster 3 metres high.

The promoter of this work was Marco Cornelio Nigrino Curiatio Materno. This inhabitant of Edeta was a consulate senator, candidate for Emperor and one of the richest and most politically powerful people during the late first century.

The Roman Mausoleums can be found near to the thermae. It is one of the finest examples of Roman funeral architecture from the first century, comprising two mausoleums or funeral buildings which formed part of the ancient necropolis of Edeta (Llíria).

In the Archaeological Museum of Llíria (MALL) “Lección para una Celebración-Lesson for a Celebration” is on exhibition, an ensemble of paintings which recount the introduction of Christianity in Edeta (Llíria). A sample from a numismatic set of 6,000 silver coins from the first-third centuries called ”Tesoro de Llíria – Treasure of Lliria”, and a set of honorary and funeral inscriptions dedicated to important people from the Roman Edeta. At the National Archaeological Museum (Madrid), “The Twelve Labours of Heracles” are exhibited, one of the finest examples of Roman mosaics in the whole of Spain, which came from Edeta (Llíria).

The Roman Thermae de Mura is an architectural complex of almost 4,000 m2 comprising a Greek style temple of an oracular nature and a double thermae of a Pompeian style, for men and women.

Oracular Sanctuary

Integrated within the urban area of Llíria is the Vila Vella, an ancient medieval town.

From the eighth-thirteenth centuries, the current Vila Vella was an Islamic medina called Lyria. It was a medina of strategic importance, shown by the fact that in 1090 it was besieged by Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar, el Cid Campeador, for failing to pay the “parias” (taxes).

the Islamic medina had several buildings which were representative of Andalusi society: the Mezquita as a religious centre, the Alcazaba as a defensive fortress and the Hammam as public baths.

Lliria Tourism - Arab Baths
Arab Baths

In 1239, The Aragonese king James I conquers Lyria and in 1253 he grants it a Carta Puebla – Town Charter which converts it in royal town of the Kingdom of Valencia within the Crown of Aragon. The town is repopulated mainly by Christian families from Catalonia and Aragon, and Occitanians.

At the highest point of the Vila Vella we find the Church of the Blood of Christ (thirteenth century). It is the finest example of Valencian Conquest architecture with transitional architectural elements from Romanesque to Gothic. It was declared a national monument in 1919. It is decorated with mural paintings from the thirteenth century with images of Saint Stephen, Saint Peter of Verona and Saint Barbara.

It preserves two columns and the well from the ancient mezquita. It has a prominent Mudejar-style coffered ceiling, decorated with geometric and plant-like epigraphic shapes, medieval bestiary and human figures that represent the feudal society of the era.

The Church of the Good Shepherd (fourteenth century) can be found in the Vila Vella. It preserves an outstanding Italo-Gothic mural painting which represents the Crucifixion of Christ in the upper part and the Annunciation in the lower part.

The Vila Vella also preserves traditional houses from the fifteenth century with their semicircular arched doorways and spacious interiors with diaphragm arches such as the Forn de la Vila, ancient bakery, and Ca la Vila Vella, ancient Jury Chamber.

Inside the Archeaological Museum of Llíria (MALL), several panels belonging to a Gothic reredos from the Church of the Blood of Christ is exhibited in which Saint Peter the Apostle and Saint Peter of Verona are represented, along with a medieval chalice and cruet set for the celebration of the Eucharist.

Church of the Blood of Christ Lliria Tourism
Church of the Blood of Christ

The Vila Vella also preserves part of the medieval walled area with sections of walls, battlements and towers.

Church of the Good Shepherd Lliria Tourism
Church of the Good Shepherd

The second half of the sixteenth century sees a new stage of demographic and urban growth in Llíria. The town moves its centre to the plaza Mayor, which it occupies at present.

Ca la Vila is situated in the plaza Mayor. It is a Renaissance palace which housed the municipal institutions during the “foral” era such as the Almudín, the Council Chamber, the Jury Chamber, the Court of Justice and the prison. The building, completely refurbished, currently houses the Town Hall of Llíria.

The Church of the Assumption is situated in the same square. It is one of the finest Baroque temples in the Valencian Community and the finest architectural example of the Valencian Catholic Counter-Reformation. It has an enormous genuine stone facade.

The remains of a Renaissance chapel are found on the Saint Barbara hillside. From there you get a magnificent panoramic view of the town of Llíria, Saint Michael hill and the Sierra Calderona.

The Monastery of Saint Michael is situated on Saint Michael hill. It was founded by King James II as a hermitage for lay sisters devoted to prayer. The original building is from the fourteenth century but the current building dates back to the eighteenth century. The neoclassical church has an outstanding chapel decorated with academic mural paintings, work of Manuel Camarón (student of Velázquez) and a Gothic painting on canvas by Vicent Masip.

In the eighteenth century in Saint Vincent´s Park, a few metres from the spring, the Chapel of Saint Vincent was built, dedicated to Saint Vincent Ferrer. Legend has it that in 1410, Saint Vincent made water bubble up from the dry spring. The building is of a neoclassical Baroque style with a portico at the entrance and a single nave inside.

Monastery of Saint Michael

In the Raval district the Church of Saint Francis can be found, a building built by the Franciscans which preserves its simple decoration based on paintings with academic-style elements.

In the Vila Vella the Church of the Mother of God is found, a simple building with noteworthy exterior stonework and ashlar corners.

Near to the Vila Vella, the Church and the Convent of Our Lady of Los Remedios are situated, an architectural ensemble of a classicist style built by the Trinitarians. It preserves an interesting neoclassical style cloister .

Finally, and also in the surrounding areas of the Vila Vella, the Molí de la Parra can be found, an ancient water mill from the eighteenth century.

Lost your password?

User registration is disabled for now. Contact site administrator.